Tuesday, January 21, 2014

em + the kitchen - chocolate butterscotch oaties.

For some reason, I haven't really been in the mood to bake lately.
I know, I know. That's blasphemy, basically.
Since I have the day off today, I told myself that it wasn't an option. I was going to bake and I was going to like, by golly.


And what do you know? I did.
And I think you will, too.
The bittersweet chocolate and oats sort of neutralize the sweetness of the butterscotch. They're perfectly gooey right out of the oven and stay that way even after they've cooled.


Chocolate Butterscotch Oaties
(recipe from Bake or Break)

Ingredients:
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 & 1/4 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup butterscotch chips

Preheat oven to 350*.
Melt your chocolate in the microwave or in a double broiler. Set aside to cool.
--(I use a makeshift double broiler by putting about an inch of water in a small saucepan and placing a glass bowl on top. Make sure the water doesn't touch the bowl. Bring the water to a boil and put the chocolate chips in the bowl - I find this way it's much harder to burn the chocolate and it's still a quick process!)
Combine the flour, baking soda, salt, and oats in a bowl and set aside.
Mix the oil, sugar, eggs, milk, and extract on medium speed in your mixer. Gradually add the dry ingredients until just mixed. Stir in the pecans and butterscotch chips.
Place dollops of the dough about 2 inches apart on the cookie sheet and bake for 7-9 minutes.
Let cool on cookie sheet for about 5 minutes before moving to wire rack to cool completely.
--I was able to get 36 cookies out of this recipe.


-e.

No comments:

Post a Comment