Friday, October 10, 2014

texas state fair 2014.

Peter and I continued our annual tradition of going to the State Fair this year!
We left stuffed full of fried foods and dreaming about the baby goats we will one day own. Okay, maybe that second part was just me, but we were both definitely stuffed.

I wanted to try all that I could of the winners from this year's Big Tex Choice Awards - a (usually) deep fried food competition. We did a decent job, but there's really only so much fried goodness you can shove into one day.
We also did a few extracurriculars which I realized I'd never really done before. Typically I just go to the fair, eat til I can't anymore, and ride the rides. This year, we watched the dog show, went through the stockyards, stopped by the auto show, and checked out the petting zoo. Y'all. It was the coolest petting zoo I'd ever been to -- we got to touch a zebra! And there were kangaroos and giraffes and BABY GOATS. I unfortunately did a poor job of documenting all of this -- mostly because I didn't want to touch farm animals, then handle my phone. Also, because I was losing my poo over the goats. I neeeeeeeed one. I can't even.

Anyway, a quick review of the foods we nommed on:
Fried Shrimp Boil - exactly what it sounds like, served with spicy remoulade. Expensive; worth it, good flavor.
Fried Breakfast for Dinner - Eggs, bacon, sausage, potatoes, ham, cheese, cinnamon roll bits all rolled into a tortilla and fried. Bad, bad, bad; tasted like a frozen taquito and was overwhelmed with cheese.
Funnel Cake Ale - tasted like slightly sweetened beer. Worth a taste, just to say you did.
Twisted Texas Taco - Fried brisket with cole slaw, fried okra, cheese, and corn salsa, served with queso. Huge serving, definitely worth the cost. Pretty tasty, too! Hilariously Texan.
Shamefully, this is all we tried! We are old farts and got full too fast. I would have loved to have tried the Deep Fried Texas Bluebonnet which sounds ridiculous and delicious. The Sriracha balls sound amazing, too. Oh well, there's always next year!

What's your favorite thing to do at the State Fair??
-e.

No comments:

Post a Comment