Friday, August 2, 2013

em + the kitchen - chocolate cobbler.

While in Denver, I stayed with my cousin and his wife, Emily. We decided to make lunch for the family and I was assigned dessert. Hurray!
I love watching Emily cook, anyway. She has so many cool recipes under her belt that she can just whip up. My from-scratch cream sauce comes from her and she's taught me many things about Italian cuisine. While she worked on her spring vegetable risotto (YUM), I got to work on this dessert that my cousin, Jerrod, chose from my ever-growing Pinterest board.

This is another one of those that photographs really well. Not to mention it was super rich and delicious. AND, you definitely have all of the ingredients in your pantry. You'll be amazed.

Emily said her family used to call it "Floaty Cake" or "Hot Fudge Sundae Cake". Whatever the name, you should make this now.


Chocolate Cobbler

Ingredients:
1 cup AP flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
7 tbsp cocoa powder, divided
1&1/4 cup sugar, divided
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup melted butter
1&1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1&1/2 cup hot water


Preheat oven to 350*.

Mix together flour, baking powder, salt, 3 tbsp cocoa, and 3/4 cup sugar. Stir in the melted butter, milk, and vanilla. Mix until smooth.
Pour into an ungreased 8x8 dish.
In a separate bowl, mix the remaining 4 tbsp cocoa, 1/2 cup sugar, and 1/2 cup brown sugar.
Sprinkle the mixture evenly over the batter.
Pour the hot water over the dish but don't stir!

Bake for 40 minutes or until set.
Serve warm (with ice cream if you're feeling especially rebellious!).

My Pop loved it so much, he plopped ice cream right into the baking dish to finish it off.

YUM!
-e.

No comments:

Post a Comment