Monday, August 19, 2013

em + the kitchen - summertime strawberry pie.

Okay, confession. I didn't actually make this pie this week. Or, uh, even this year.
I made it last summer after I bought several strawberries on sale and then needed to use them quickly.

BUT. The fact that I kept the photos in anticipation for a blog post because I knew the recipe was too good not to share? That should be evidence enough that this is a pie perfect for satisfying even the sweetest of teeth.

And, boy, is it sweet.
I modified the recipe from here, which I found on Pinterest. Duh.
Just follow my sweets and treats boards, already.

I also made 4 individual pies instead of one large one because who doesn't want their own strawberry pie? Someone I don't want to be friends with, probably.
To do this, simply quarter your pie crust and roll out smaller individual circles.

Ingredients:
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup strawberry jell-o
1&1/2 cups water
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 1/2 lbs fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced in half (about 2-3 cups)
1 - regular pie crust

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line the bottom of your pie shell(s) with parchment paper. Place pie weights or dry beans on the paper.
Pre-bake the pie crust until golden brown, approximately 15-20 minutes. When done, remove pie weights and parchment paper.

Let the pie crust cool completely on a wire rack. While your pie crust is cooling prepare the strawberry filling.
Combine the sugar, cornstarch, gelatin, lemon juice, strawberry extract and water in a medium size pot.
Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and cook until the mixture thickens, whisking often.
Remove from heat and let the mixture cool to room temperature (or place in an ice bath to speed the process).

Arrange the strawberries in the baked pie shell. I cut mine in half so they wouldn't be jutting out at funny angles.
Pour the filling over the strawberries, coating them completely. Refrigerate until set - about 2 hours. Store in the refrigerator.

What's your favorite summertime dessert? There are so many to choose from!
-e.

No comments:

Post a Comment