Tuesday, September 17, 2013

em + the kitchen - cinnamon pound cake.

This blog post today comes courtesy of Paula Deen, Jesus, and all things Southern.

I've been eying this Paula recipe for a while -- even had it bookmarked -- though, if I'm telling the truth about that, it's simply because there was no accompanying photo so how was I supposed to pin it to Pinterest? I resigned myself to the fact that I'd just have to make it. ;)

I've also been studying the book of James with my community group and he really drives the "love your neighbor as yourself"point home, so I contemplated how to live that out. Then it came to me in one delightfully Southern thought.


The recipe made two 8x3 pans and was perfectly buttery-sweet.
I wouldn't have had a chance to taste it at all except that when I tented the pans with foil halfway through the baking process, the foil fell and peeled off the top of my cakes. I used that as an opportunity to get a small taste.

Cinnamon Pound Cake
(recipe by Paula Deen)

Ingredients:
2 sticks butter, softened
1 1/4 cups firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 large eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk

Preheat the oven to 325.
Spray a 9-inch loaf pan (or two 8x3 disposable pans) with nonstick baking spray. Line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper, and then spray again.
In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugars at medium speed with a mixer until fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Gradually add to the butter mixture alternately with the milk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture, beating just until combined. Spoon into the prepared pan(s).
Bake for 45 minutes (or just 30 if you're doing smaller ones). Then loosely tent with aluminum foil. Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 26 to 30 minutes longer. Cool in pan for 10 minutes, and then remove from the pan and cool completely on a wire rack.

My poor, topless cake. Ha!
On the same note, is there any way that I can love you, my friends, better?
-e.

No comments:

Post a Comment