Sunday, July 27, 2014

things to do in dallas - coffee shops, pt 6.

It's been a while since the last installation of this coffee shop series!
Night shift makes getting leisurely coffee difficult. I have to plan my caffeination very carefully in order to ensure I am able to stay awake or asleep, depending on the time of day. It's an art.
Not to mention, I'm sort of out of places! I have a few left on the list that I still need to visit, including a few in the mid-cities, but I need suggestions, y'all!

For now, add these 3 to your list of must-trys!

The Wild Detectives (Oak Cliff)
This book store-slash-coffee shop-slash-bar opened in March in Oak Cliff and, as I'm sure you can imagine, I wanted to go immediately. It took me a while to visit, but I finally did! As soon as I walked in, I knew Oak Cliff had acquired something special. I judge books by their covers and I wanted to read every single book this shop offered. They had a few solid local beers on tap, in addition to wine and coffee. I asked for my usual: a nonfat vanilla latte and was told they don't have flavored syrups. No worries! I love a good chai latte. I wandered around looking at book titles as he steeped the tea and made the latte. It came without sweetener (and I'm not sure they actually have any available), but I sipped my drink while sitting in a cushy window seat and people-watched the neighborhood outside. So, you know, maybe next time I'll sneak in a few sugar packets, but I just love the concept of this place and will definitely be back.

Method: Caffeination & Fare (East Dallas)
Method opened in old East Dallas a few months ago and I've been chomping at the bit to get out there and visit. I finally made the trip this past week with my sweet friend, Laura, and I'm so glad I did! The baristas are super friendly and helpful. I asked if they had flavored syrups and was informed they have two that they make in-house: vanilla and lavender. What! Yum. My latte, which I ordered iced for the sake of triple-digit weather, was delicious and hit the spot. Laura got the iced chai latte which was super spicy and flavorful. The decor was homey and rustic, inviting one to lounge all day. I will be back here!

Lekka (far North Dallas)
I actually learned of Lekka through Central Track's "Unfiltered" series. I was, perhaps, led slightly astray. I went in thinking it would be a coffee shop -- it was not. It's a full-fledged restaurant that happens to also serve coffee. That being said, it's some darn good coffee. Their latte was incredibly smooth and light. Also, this may seem odd to note, but it was the perfect temperature. Sometimes coffee shops will try to mask the flavor of their coffee (if it's not very good) by making the drink terrible hot. Not so here! The vibe inside is very airy and welcoming and, luckily, I was pretty hungry, so I got to enjoy some of their menu as well. I'm not sure I'd drive back just on a whim, but if I'm ever in the area again, I'll definitely consider it.

Any suggestions from the peanut gallery?
-e.

No comments:

Post a Comment