Tuesday, November 25, 2014

em + the kitchen - olive oil + herb drop biscuits.

Last week we had an ICU family Thanksgiving potluck at the hospital and I was way more excited about it than I should've been because I looove cooking for people. My validation as a human comes from when people enjoy my food. I AM CRAZY.
I signed up for "bread" and "sweets" because I can't help myself, y'all.
I tried for a pumpkin layer cake that totally crumbled, so I picked up the pieces and made cake balls that tasted awesome, but looked janky because white chocolate is not my friend. Why do I do this to myself?
However, the winner of my two dishes were these drop biscuits which I have now made 4 batches of because they're just that good. I also plan on making them again for real Thanksgiving in Colorado which involves me getting on a plane with whole wheat flour, but they're totally worth it, you guys.
These are the perfect solution for your starchy Thanksgiving woes if you're nervous about figuring out yeast rolls. Plus they're (you know, moderately) healthier!
I mixed these in my food processor which is the quick and dirty way to make pastry dough. I love it.


Olive Oil & Herb Drop Biscuits
(from Taste, Love, & Nourish)

Ingredients:
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup cake flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
1 tblsp grated Parmesan
1 tblsp fresh herbs, chopped
2 tblsp cold butter, cubed
2 tblsp EVOO
1 cup buttermilk

Preheat oven to 450*. Prepare a cookie sheet with parchment paper or Silpats.

Put flours, baking soda, salt, black pepper, parmesan, and herbs in food processor. Give it a couple of whirls to really mix the ingredients together and to chop up the herbs some more.
Add cold cubed butter and olive oil. Pulse until pea-sized lumps form in the dough.
Now add the buttermilk and mix until dough forms a ball inside processor. There may still be clumps of flour and that's okay!

Spoon out balls of dough about 1/4 cup in size onto cookie sheet.
(I consistently got 14 biscuits out of each batch I made.)

Bake for 12 minutes. Enjoy warm!

What have you been assigned to for your Thanksgiving meal?
-e.

No comments:

Post a Comment