Wednesday, March 6, 2013

community supported agriculture.

If ya'll remember, I bought a Groupon a few months ago for a CSA half-share from Urban Acres. I finally picked up my first share this past weekend and was so excited to get started on it!

So, what to do when life hands you a CSA full of produce you've never worked with?
Well, if you're me, you google things like "how to prepare beets", "kale chips", and "how to dry fresh dill". (If you're curious, the answer to that last one is: 6-8 hours in a 110* oven. Yeesh.)

In what was a happy accident, Peter and I decided to saute the kale only to discover that it gets crispier the longer it's in the pan. I assume what we created is similar to what baking kale into chips would yield. Dusted lightly with salt, I would continue to eat kale this way. It was really yummy.
I also found in my google searches that you can make a kale pesto! I figured since I already have the ingredients on hand for a pesto base, I could swap out the basil for kale in this instance. I was a little skeptical because I love the flavor of basil (but I also had a ton of kale on hand that I needed to use up!). It actually turned out spectacularly! Great flavor and easy to make. Win/win!
(For a quick reminder of how to make that pesto, go here.)

I also roasted the potatoes with fresh dill for a quick side. Not much to it, but really tasty.

I plan on making roasted brussels sprouts with garlic aioli and a beef and broccoli dish tonight.
If anyone has suggestions for beets or radishes, I welcome them!
I'm excited to be supporting my local farmers and organic agriculture. Hopefully one day I'll have my own garden and be able to eat from my own hard work. But for now, I'm happy to participate in a CSA and encourage you to join one, too!

-e.

No comments:

Post a Comment