Tuesday, April 9, 2013

em + the kitchen - my new mixer

For about a year or so now, I've been coveting those fancy new, brightly-colored Kitchen Aid mixers. I just couldn't justify the price tag. And that is why I am such good friends with Groupon! Recently, they offered one of these sweet little mixers for a mere $209 (hah!) and I just knew I had to have it because I'd never see it that cheap again.
An agonizing two weeks went by as I waited for that 25 lb box in the mail. When I got home from work on Friday, the clouds opened up and an angel choir sang of my mixer's arrival; the box was on my doorstep!


I've been dubbed the baker of my community group at Watermark, so I knew that today I was going to finally be able to use it for the first time. I wanted to make something with a frosting because I've had so much trouble in the past getting frostings to cooperate with me without a stand mixer -- that meant I was definitely making a cupcake.
I scoured Pinterest for a recipe that called for ingredients I already had and stumbled upon one that sounded interesting: Citrus Avocado Cupcakes. I somehow already had limes, lemons, avocados, and oranges on hand. These cupcakes were meant to be!
 It also called for a buttercream, but I prefer cream cheese frosting (and, if I'm being honest, I ran out of milk while making the cupcakes and didn't want to go to the grocery store).

They weren't overly sweet and the citrus was prefect for this 80 degree "Spring" weather we've been having. It was a dense, moist cake with an interesting crumb. The recipe comes from Wilton and required a bit of prep time, but wasn't difficult.

Citrus Avocado Cupcakes
(makes 24 servings)

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 1/3 cups granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
2 eggs
1 large avocado, peeled and pureed
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup milk
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons orange juice
1 tablespoon grated orange zest (plus extra for your frosting, if you're into that.)
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest


 
Preheat oven to 350*.
Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and baking powder in a large bowl.
Beat eggs and pureed avocado together in a larger second bowl, then add oil, milk, citrus juices, and zests.
Slowly add flour mixture to the wet ingredients until just incorporated.
Pour into lined or prepared muffin tins and bake for 18-20 minutes.
 
 
Let cool completely on cooling rack and top with your favorite frosting (I used Martha's cream cheese recipe.)



Three cheers for mixers that make me happy and the treats I make for others with it!
Hip, hip!

-e.

No comments:

Post a Comment