Wednesday, June 5, 2013

em + the kitchen - everything cookies.

It's so funny to me when recipes don't have a clever name and so are named by the ingredients they're made from. Case in point: these cookies.
I believe they're usually referred to as "Chocolate Chip Cinnamon Coconut Oatmeal Cookies" or "Laura Bush's Texas Governor's Mansion Cowboy Cookies", both of which are a complete mouthful.

And the only thing your mouth should be full of is a bite of these cookies.
So, I'm going to call them Everything Cookies.

They're fabulous and get rave reviews every time I make them (which was more frequently than I planned because this recipe makes so. much. dough.).
I actually froze half of the dough right when I made it because I looked at my almost-completely-full 4.5 quart mixer bowl and realized I'd be baking all night if I used it all. I believe I used this one batch of dough on 4 separate occasions to pop out a dozen here and there.



It won't last long, though. So yummy.

The recipe originally came from the Family Circle Magazine tradition of having the contending first ladies compete in a bake-off. These cookies were Laura Bush's winning recipe.
And it is a winner!



Everything Cookies (aka Texas Governor's Mansion Cowboy Cookies)

Ingredients:
3 cups flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tbsp baking soda
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
3 eggs
1 tbsp vanilla
3 cups semisweet chocolate chips
3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
2 cups sweetened coconut flakes
2 cups chopped pecans (8 oz)

-Preheat oven to 350ºF.
-In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
-In another bowl, beat butter on medium until smooth. Add sugar and brown sugar and beat for another 2 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix in vanilla. 
-Stir in the flour mixture, blending until just combined. Add the chocolate chips, oats, coconut flakes, and pecans and stir until fully incorporated.
-Drop by rounded tablespoon onto a cookie sheet, making sure to allow plenty of room between cookies. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are set and golden brown.

I found that it was helpful to carefully take them immediately off the cookie sheet and place them on a wire rack to cool. Even a minute or two left on the cookie sheet resulted in cookies that were a bit too crunchy for my liking.



Go make the former first lady proud.
Go make these cookies!
-e.

No comments:

Post a Comment