Friday, June 28, 2013

twenty-five.

25 is a strange age to turn.
I actually feel old which is silly, but true.
Like maybe now that I'm 25 I'm supposed to be doing something other than lying in bed for the first 2 hours of my morning. Or maybe I'm not supposed to get as excited about birthdays as I still do. Or maybe I was supposed to already have been something or someone.
Or maybe I'm exactly where I'm supposed to be.

Happy. Sipping cold coffee, still in my bed even though I've been awake since 6:30. Content.

I had a fabby birthday and got to capture laughter on my new polaroid camera that my mom made fun of since trends always come back. Peter calls it the most hipster thing about me.

I've decided that this year will be the year of making a new name for my generation.
My generation is known for staring into iPhone screens, being narcissistic, and breaking commitments.
This will look like: talking to people while waiting in line; not being uncomfortable in public because no, no one is watching me because no, I'm not that impressive; holding true to my word because I've given it and, in turn, not over-committing myself.

I think by age 25 there should be something more important in your life than yourself.
Be it children, a calling, a spouse, a passion, a mission. I want to make sure that I do something. Whether that means becoming a fabulous home cook, getting great at photography, or finally starting up my vegetable garden (and eating from it!) -- I'll be doing. And that's what's important to me.

I am getting old, after all.
-e.

No comments:

Post a Comment