Monday, February 24, 2014

em + the kitchen - easy cream pie.

After my grandma's funeral in Denver, the whoooole extended family piled into one house to enjoy a meal prepared for us by the sweet people at my relative's church. It was delicious and comforting and highly reminiscent of Thanksgiving -- including the uncomfortable way I stuffed myself silly with food.
There were pies galore, but the one I chose (yes, I only chose to eat one!) was so so good I immediately had to get the recipe and replicate it. The sweet woman who brought this pie laughed when my aunt asked her for the recipe; it's so simple she couldn't believe someone wanted the recipe that badly.
This pie is horchata in solid form. If you've never had horchata, DO THAT NOW. It's basically a mexican rice milk drink made with cinnamon. Quit wrinkling your nose. It's absolutely divine.
And so is this pie.


Easy Cream Pie

Ingredients:
1 prepared pie crust (homemade or store-bought, doesn't matter)
1 stick unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup corn starch
2 & 1/4 cup milk
pinch of salt
1-2 tsp vanilla extract
cinnamon, to dust

Bake pie crust according to instructions. Set aside.
Meanwhile, melt butter and sugar together in a pot.
Once fully melted, add milk, corn starch, salt, and vanilla, whisking constantly.
Let ingredients come to a rolling boil (if I'm being totally honest, I never let this happen while making the pie because I was so afraid it would burn if I quit whisking. As a result, the pie never quite set in the fridge, but was still delicious.)
Pour into prepared pie crust, sprinkle with cinnamon, and pop into the fridge until set.

Full disclosure: the first pie I made actually did burn and it simply tasted more caramelly than it should have. It was still delicious.
2nd full disclosure: this pie is certainly not for those on a diet.

Enjoy!
-e.

No comments:

Post a Comment