Wednesday, June 11, 2014

em + the kitchen - raspberry peach galette.

Ya'll.
This is a big day in my household. It's the first day since coming home from the hospital that I've felt like baking or really even being in the kitchen. My diet for the past few days has been primarily Trix cereal and Ben & Jerry's. Don't judge me!

So, when I finally started getting the itch to actually start making, I jumped on the chance. I didn't know how long it would last!
And your mouths are going to thank me, I promise. I currently have Sour Cream Chicken Poblano Enchiladas going in the oven -- that's for another day, another post.

Today, however.
Today I made a summer fruit galette. Maybe it's cheating a bit in terms of "getting back in the kitchen" because it's so so simple. But it looks and tastes like I spent more time in the kitchen than I did, so it totally still counts.

If you've never made a galette, you are missing out. Instead of blind baking crusts or crimping the edges just so, you simply lay the pie crust on a flat surface, heap the center with your filling, and fold the edges over. See? Totally easy. And delicious. Win/win.

Raspberry Peach Galette

Ingredients:
1 pie crust (either homemade or store-bought)
3 peaches
1 4oz container raspberries
2 tbsp sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg white, beaten


Preheat oven to 425*.
Peel peaches and cut into eighths. Mix with raspberries, sugar, and vanilla in a medium bowl. Set aside to let juices start to release for about 5-10 minutes.
Roll the pie crust out onto a flat surface - either a cookie sheet, jelly roll pan, or pizza pan.
Heap fruit mixture onto center of pie crust, leaving about a 2-3 inch border. Try not to pour all of the juice when heaping the fruit. You want some, but not all or the crust may become soggy while baking.
Fold the edges of the dough over the fruit, gently pressing together where necessary.
Brush the egg wash over the exposed edges and sprinkle with sugar.
Bake for about 30 minutes or until the edges have become golden brown.
Cut as you would a pie and enjoy!


The beauty of this recipe is that it works with lots of different fruits. I've made one before with pears and cinnamon and it was delicious. Let your imagination run wild!
What's your favorite fruit combo?
-e.

No comments:

Post a Comment