Sunday, June 15, 2014

happy father's day!

Anyone who knows me knows what a serious sweet tooth I have. I usually make the joke, "does it have sugar in it? Then I'll like it." And now is the time to come clean...I stole that joke from my dad.

I absolutely got my huge sweet tooth from my father and it kills me. Ya'll. When I got in trouble as a kid, my punishment was that I couldn't have dessert. That's a problem.
We share this love for any and everything sweet - which is how I knew I had to make him something perfectly sweet for Father's Day.

These cookies are huge and chocolatey and perfect. I actually had to fill the mixing bowl with water so I would quit eating the leftovers. So. Good. As in, debatably the best cookie I've ever made. I know that's a big statement -- but I stand behind it.
Make these now. Your dad will thank you.

Chocolate Sugar Cookies
(recipe from Handmade Charlotte)

Ingredients:
2 cups plus 2 tbsp flour
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
2 & 1/2 sticks butter, softened
2 cups sugar, plus 1/2 cup more for rolling
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350* and prepare cookie sheets with parchment paper or silpat.

Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
Cream butter and sugar in mixing bowl until light and fluffy, 3-5 minutes.
Add eggs, one at a time. Add vanilla. Mix well.
Gradually add flour, mixing slowly, until just combined.

Roll large spoonfuls of cookie dough in bowl of extra sugar, then place on cookie sheets - you should be able to fit only 8 per sheet.
Bake for 11-12 minutes or until centers are puffed and cookies began to crackle over their surfaces.
Let cool for 5 minutes on cookie sheet, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also got my dad these crazy lures because his hobbies include anything outdoorsy and manly - mountain climbing, kayaking, fishing, drumming, mountain biking, picking his nose, and farting. Yes, those last two are hobbies.
All I need him to do now is pick up motorcycling and shooting guns so he and Peter will be completely inseparable. Yeesh.


Hug your pops extra tight today. I know I will. :)
-e.

No comments:

Post a Comment