Friday, July 11, 2014

em + the kitchen: black bottom coconut bars.

July hasn't been the most baking-est month for me simply because, once you turn that oven on, you'd better be prepared for face-melting heat inside your house until the sun goes down.
...Okay, maybe an exaggeration, but seriously, it's hot. I can practically hear my AC grumbling at me when I decide I'm in the mood for baking.
That's why, if I'm baking something, it better be worth it. And, oh, are these worth it.
I was simply looking for a quick recipe to whip up for a potluck at work. I needed to have all the ingredients because I worked last night, too, and ain't nobody got time to run to the grocery store on 4 hours of sleep.
I pulled these up on my Pinterest board and they look quick and easy enough, but like a total crowd pleaser. I took a risk with coconut because a lot of people don't like it, but that just means more for me!

These bars are chocolately, gooey, buttery goodness with an extra side of toasty coconut thrown in. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that sentence. Bring on the sticky fingers!


Black Bottom Coconut Bars
(recipe from Bake or Break)

Ingredients:
Crust:
1/2 unsalted butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/4 cup AP flour

Topping:
2 eggs
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup AP flour
7 oz sweetened, shredded coconut -- reserve 1/2 cup for topping

Preheat the oven to 375* and prepare an 8" square baking dish. Set aside.

Melt butter in microwave. Mix in salt and sugar until dissolved. Mix in egg, cocoa powder, and flour until fully incorporated.
Spread evenly into bottom of prepared dish.
Bake for 10-15 minutes or until sides start to pull away from the dish. Set aside to cool.

While the crust is baking, start on the topping.
Beat eggs, sugar, and vanilla until well mixed. Add flour and coconut until just incorporated.
Drop spoonfuls of topping onto base and spread evenly with wet fingers -- this will be sticky!
Top with remaining 1/2 cup shredded coconut.

Bake for 25-30 minute or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Cool completely, then cut into bars. Enjoy!

Is there any recipe for which you find totally worth turning on your oven in the middle of summer?
I'll admit there are many. I just can't say "no" to baked goods!
-e.

No comments:

Post a Comment