Saturday, August 16, 2014

em + the kitchen - perfect chocolate chip cookies.

So, I've been known to talk a pretty big game about my baking skills.
Such a big game, apparently, that one of Pete's friends, Briggs, was tired of hearing about it and needed actual physical proof. He told me chocolate chip cookies were his favorite and he wanted to see exactly what I could come up with. Nothing fancy, he told me, just chocolate chip and nothing more.
So for this recipe, I went in search of two things:
1) Simple, plain, perfect chocolate chip cookies.
2) Huge. Big, bakery-sized cookies because everyone loves cookies as big as the palm of their hand.

In my search, I found a recipe that did not disappoint.
These cookies are buttery and big. Chocolate in every perfect, puffed-up bite.
They're also gigantic. In fact, the recipe only makes a dozen cookies, but could potentially make 30. I mean, if you like normal-sized, wimpy cookies. And I don't.

Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies
(recipe adapted from Brown-Eyed Baker)

Ingredients:
3 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup cold butter, cubed
3/4 cup + 4 tsp brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 package semi-sweet chocolate chips

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
Beat butter on medium-high speed until a mass forms. Add sugars and beat for an additional 2 minutes, scraping down the sides as necessary.
Add eggs and vanilla, beating until combined.
Slowly add flour mixture and beat on medium-low speed until just incorporated. Fold in chocolate chips.

Put dough in fridge for at least 30 minutes. I left mine in for several hours.

Preheat oven to 375* and prep 2 cookie sheets.
Place large spoonfuls of dough in 2 rows - 6 cookies per sheet.
Bake for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown on the outside, but still chewy on the inside.
Let cool on the sheet for an additional 5 minutes before moving them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Enjoy!
Are you a fan of plain ol' chocolate chip cookies? What's your favorite fun addition?
-e.

No comments:

Post a Comment